It's Fire Prevention month and we're taking note by brushing up on some fire safety tips. There are many things you can do to prevent a fire in your home. Read on to learn about some simple things you can do to keep you and your family even safer. Want to keep these tips top of mind? Click here to print our fire safety checklist to post on your refrigerator and hopefully prevent a fire in your home.
1. Always make sure your smoke alarm has a full battery and is working properly.
2. Teach children the importance of using matches and lighters appropriately and safely. Keep these items out of reach for little ones.
3. Map out a fire escape plan in case of an emergency. This will be a fun activity and could really come in handy should you have a fire in your home one day.
4. Always focus when cooking in the kitchen and remain in the room when your stove top and oven is on.
5. Exercise caution when using candles and never leave them burning when you’re not in the room.
6. Lastly, teach your kids how to react if a fire occurs. Get low to avoid smoke and get to safe spot as soon as possible. We can make bad calls or freeze when we’re in an emergency. Practice makes perfect and could save your life or the life of a loved one.